The GEOGloWS ECMWF Streamflow Service grew from an academic research setting where considerable work was done to develop and evaluate the technologies which enable this hydrologic model. This is an abbreviated list of publications which resulted from this research. We acknowledge that many scientists and researchers contributes to the successful development and operation of this model.
Streamflow Forecast and GEOGloWS - Hydrologic Modeling as a Service
- Souffront, Michael A., E. James Nelson, Kiran Shakya, Christopher Edwards, Wade Roberts, Corey Krewson, Daniel P. Ames, Norman L. Jones, and Angelica Gutierrez, “Hydrologic Modeling as a Service (HMaaS): A New Approach to Address Hydroinformatic Challenges in Developing Countries” Frontiers in Environmental Science: Freshwater Science, October 2019, doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2019.00158.
- Qiao, Xiaohui, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames, Zhiyu Li, Cedric H. David, Gustavious P. Williams, Wade Roberts, Jorge Luis Sanchez, Chris Edwards, Michael A. Souffront, Mir A. Matin, “A Systems Approach to Routing Global Gridded Runoff through Local High-Resolution Stream Networks for Flood Early Warning Systems” Environmental Modelling and Software, Vol. 120, Article 104501, October 2019, 10.1016/j.envsoft.2019.104501.
- Sikder, Safat, Cedric H. David, George H. Allen, Xiaohui, Qiao, E. James Nelson, Mir A. Matin, “Evaluation of Available Global Runoff Datasets through a River Model in Support of Transboundary Water Management in South and Southeast Asia” Frontiers in Environmental Science: Landsurface Dynamics, October 2019, 10.3389/fenvs.2019.00171.
GloFAS - Land Surface Modeling
- Alfieri, L., P. Burek, E. Dutra, B. Krzeminski, D. Muraro, J. Thielen & F. Pappenberger, 2013. GloFAS–global ensemble streamflow forecasting and flood early warning. Hydrol Earth Syst Sci 17(3):1161-1175
- Hirpa, Feyera A, Peter Salamon, Hylke E Beck, Valerio Lorini, Lorenzo Alfieri, Ervin Zsoter, Simon J. Dadson, 2018. Calibration of the Global Flood Awareness System (GloFAS) using daily streamflow data, Jornal of Hydrology, Vol 566, pg 595-606, 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.09.052.
RAPID - Mapping to Basins and Routing
- David, C. H., J. S. Famiglietti, Z. –L. Yang, F. Habets, and D. R. Maidment (2016), A Decade of RAPID – Reflections on the Development of an Open Source Geoscience Code, Earth and Space Science, 3, 1-19, DOI: 10.1002/2015EA000142.
- David, C. H., D. R. Maidment, G.-Y. Niu, Z. -L. Yang, F. Habets and V. Eijkhout (2011), River network routing on the NHDPlus dataset, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 12(5), 913-934. DOI: 10.1175/2011JHM1345.1.
- David, C. H., J. S. Famiglietti, Z. -L. Yang, and V. Eijkhout, 2015.Enhanced Fixed-Size Parallel Speedup with the MuskingumMethod Using a Trans-Boundary Approach and a Large Sub-Basins Approximation. Water Resources Research 51:1-25, DOI: 10.1002/2014WR016650.
Validation and HydroStats
- Jackson, Elise, Wade Roberts, Benjamin Nelsen, Gustavious P. Willliams, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames “Introductory overview: Error metrics for hydrologic modelling – A review of common practices and an open source library to facilitate use and adoption” Environmental Modeling and Software, May 2019, 10.1016/j.envsoft.2019.05.001.
- Roberts, Wade, Gustavious P. Williams, Elise Jackson, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames, “HydroStats: A Python Package for Characterizing Errors between Observed and Predicted Time Series” Journal of Hydrology, Vol 5, Issue 4, 2018, doi: 10.3390/hydrology5040066.
US National Water Model - Original Implementation
- Souffront, Michael A., Shawn Crawley, Michael J. Stealey, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames, Norman L. Jones, “Open Water Data Solutions for Accessing the National Water Model” Open Water Journal, Vol 4 Issue 1, 2017.
- Snow, Alan D., Scott D. Christensen, Nathan R. Swain, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames, Norman L. Jones, Deng Ding, Nawajish Noman, Cedric H. David, and Florian Pappenberger, “A New High-Resolution National-Scale Ensemble Hydrologic Forecast Model and Dataset,” Journal of American Water Resources Association, Special Collection for the Open Water Data Initiative, Volume 52, Number 4, pp 950–964, DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12434.
Tethys - Hydroinformatics and Web Applications
- Swain, N. R., S. D. Christensen, A. D. Snow, H. Dolder, G. Espinoza-Dávalos, E. Goharian, N. L. Jones, E. J. Nelson, D. P. Ames and S. J. Burian (2016). "A new open source platform for lowering the barrier for environmental web app development." Environmental Modeling & Software, Volume 85, pp 11-26.
- Swain, Nathan R., K. Latu, Scott D. Christensen, Norman L. Jones, E. James Nelson, Daniel P. Ames, Gustavious P. Williams, “A Review of Open Source Software Solutions for Developing Water Resources Web Applications,” Environmental Modeling & Software, Volume 67, pp. 108-117, May 2015.
- Nelson, E. James, Sarva T. Pulla, Mir A. Matin, Kiran Shakya, Norman L. Jones, Daniel P. Ames, Lee Ellenburg, Kel. N. Markert, Cedric H. David, Benjamin F. Zaitchik, Patrick Gatlin, Riley Hales, “Enabling Stakeholder Decision-Making with Earth Observation and Modeling Data Across the SERVIR Hubs using Tethys Platform” Frontiers in Environmental Science: Freshwater Science, doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2019.00148